Earning a high school diploma will give you many more life choices. Here is what a high school diploma will get you:
Higher income – high school graduates earn an average of about $10,000 more each year than those who don’t complete high school. You will have more chances to be employed, earn a working wage, pay for a place to live, afford good food, and pay for a reliable car.
Better career opportunities – high school graduates are more likely to get the job than someone who does not have a diploma.
Less chance of unemployment – those without a high school diploma have more of a chance of being unemployed than someone with a high school diploma.
Must have – you must have a high school diploma to go community college, university, or to be accepted into trade apprenticeship programs, like electrician, welding, or machine operator.
Skills – going to high school and earning your diploma will give you skills that you can use on the job, at college, and in life.
Beat the statistics! You can do it! – Only about 50% of teen mothers get a high school diploma by age 22, compared with 89% of women who did not have a child during their teen years, and one-third of teen mothers never get a diploma.
Sense of accomplishment – You did it! Many of our past students have told us that while going to high school they kept in mind that by earning their high school diploma, they would be able to make a better life for themselves and their child. And that when their child was in high school, they could tell them, “I did it!”
So, what does the academic program look like?
When you enroll in Cardinal Academy, the academic/career counselor will meet with you to develop an ILP, an Individual Learning Plan that is especially for you.
Together, you and the counselor will:
- Talk about your career and/or college interests and the skills and knowledge you already have;
- Discuss your current transcripts and any test scores
- Map out short-term and long-term goals; and,
- Develop a learning plan just for you, including specific courses, internships, and apprenticeships.
While you are enrolled at Cardinal Academy, you and the counselor will continue to work on:
- Enrolling in TRiO to explore career choices, and the education and funding needed to attain those careers;
- Work on financial aid to complete career and college goals; and,
- Monitor your progress of goals and academics that will lead to goal attainment.